When you’re hurt in a Detroit car accident, you may have grounds for an insurance claim. But you may already be worried about the amount your insurance company is willing to pay.
You need this money to continue to live life as you were before your car accident, and this insurance coverage is supposed to make up for this. When it doesn’t, then something has to be done to get the money you deserve. Here’s what you need to know about your settlement options.
What is a No-Fault PIP Settlement?
Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance is a type of vehicle insurance that helps to pay for medical bills, wage losses, and other costs after a crash. Every driver in Michigan is required to have this type of insurance coverage. However, these insurance companies may try to limit the costs they have to pay when an accident happens.
A no-fault PIP settlement is a settlement if offered through the insurance company based on the amount they find fair. This amount is determined after medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses are itemized.
However, insurance companies will often provide a smaller settlement offer than what is needed. They may push accident victims to find other ways to pay for their bills during the time after a no-fault accident. Maximizing your PIP settlement, rather than accepting the first offer, can help you avoid this situation.
Maximizing the No-Fault PIP Settlement
Here are some tips to help you maximize your no-fault PIP settlement and get the necessary help you need. You shouldn’t have to just deal with the amount the insurance company settled on, not when you’re determined to deserve a lot more.
- Get the necessary medical attention you need right after the crash and follow all of the doctor’s orders.
- Don’t talk to the insurance company on your own—allow your attorney to do this for you.
- Gather all of the evidence and keep paperwork handy. This includes the police report and any photographs taken at the scene.
- Be patient and never take the first (or even the second) offer that comes through.
- Stay off social media and don’t post anything related to the accident or payouts.
- Call a car accident attorney in Michigan as soon as you can.
- Write down everything you’ve gone through because of the accident you’ve been in.
- Be honest about the injuries that you’ve sustained and the extent of the injuries.
- Document any settlement rejections from the insurance company.
- Evaluate any future damages that may incur because of this accident.
Be proactive in the steps you need to take to secure the most for your PIP settlement, especially if it is of no fault of your own. Your accident lawyer can help you take these steps to maximize your settlement.
Maximize Your Settlement with a Lawyer’s Help
Contacting an attorney who understands no-fault PIP settlements can be vital for your claim. They can provide more information on what you can or should do, and they can help you take action.
At Pazner Law, we take the time to listen to your case because we believe you should get the compensation you deserve. To speak with us over a free consultation, reach out by calling 313-822-2244. You can also fill out the online contact form below.